As a first home buyer, you may be eligible for the “First Home Owner Grant” (FHOG). The FHOG is a one-off grant payable to first home owners that meet the eligibility criteria. This grant can be utilised to pay for some of the costs that are associated with buying your own home.
Eligible first home owners can receive the grant regardless of their income or the area in which they are planning to buy or build.
In brief – Am I eligible?
To be eligible for the grant:
- The home is a brand new home
- At least one applicant is a permanent resident or Australian citizen
- You are over 18
- You or your spouse (including de facto spouse) have never held a relevant interest in any residential property in Australia prior to 1 July 2000. However, you may be eligible if you or your spouse, including de facto spouse, have only had a relevant interest in any residential property in Australia on or after 1 July 2000 and you have not resided in that property for a continuous period of at least 6 months.
- You have not received a first home owners grant in any State or Territory, unless subsequently repaid
- You need to live in the home for a continuous period of at least 6 month